Healthy Meal Ideas – One Pan Egg Meals
We have some healthy meal ideas which are cheap and healthy: easy egg fried veg and rice, or healthy one pan brunch with potato, veg and egg.
They are easy to cook, good for you and not expensive.
Light healthy one pan meals with egg for 2 or 3 people
These are ideas for meals, which are nutritious, filling, easy to cook and not expensive. They can be adapted to suit your tastes and requirements – leave something out or add something different and it will probably still work. They can also use leftover cooked vegetables.
Both meals use eggs, which are full of protein and other nutrients and are not expensive to buy (free range eggs typically cost ?1.50 – ?2 for a box of 6 eggs). If you use one egg per person, a box of eggs can make 6 meals.
Easy egg fried veg and rice
This is a quick and easy light meal, which can use up some leftover vegetables and leftover cooked rice. The quantities can be scaled up or down to suit your needs, but it should feed 2 or 3 people.
It can be made with just peas, rice and egg if you prefer, but it can be made more interesting by adding other vegetables to the mix.
Frozen peas, cooked carrots or other cooked vegetables,
2 or 3 eggs,
Oil to cook,
You can add garlic or herbs if you wish.
- Lightly cook the frozen peas, and heat the cooked rice in a microwave.
- Add a small amount of cooking oil to a large non-stick frying pan; add the peas and any other cooked vegetables, garlic (if used) and a sprinkle of salt. Cook gently on a low – medium heat for a few minutes.
- Add a few herbs (dried or fresh – dried thyme or fresh chives are good).
- Crack 2 or 3 medium size eggs into jug and beat them with a fork.
- Push the veg to one side of the pan, add a little more oil for cooking the eggs, then add the eggs to the pan.
When the eggs are nearly cooked, break up the egg and stir, then mix together with the veg.
- Add the cooked rice to the pan, stir everything together and cook together for a few more minutes on a very low heat to stop the egg and rice from sticking, stirring regularly.
Note: Cooked rice should only be stored in the fridge for a day or two. However, it can be frozen if you want to store it for longer.
Easy one pan brunch with eggs, potato, tomato, spinach (or other cooked greens)
This is an easy one pan meal with eggs to feed 2 or 3 people.
The ingredients can be adapted to your tastes.
You need a medium to large frying pan (ideally with a lid).
It could also be put into individual ovenproof bowls and baked.
A cup of cooked waxy potatoes chopped up small,
Half a tin of chopped tomatoes,
Some spinach (or cooked greens such as broccoli or shredded cabbage, or other cooked veg such as cooked carrots or green beans),
Oil, herbs, garlic (if liked) salt, and a bit of water,
2 or 3 eggs.
- Add a small amount of oil to the frying pan, and gently fry the potatoes with some chopped garlic.
- After a few minutes add the other veg (chopped up). Stir together and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add half a tin of tomatoes (chopped fresh tomatoes can be used in season – just add them after the potatoes and cook for longer).
- Add a pinch of dried thyme or other herbs and a light sprinkle of salt.
- Mix in a small amount of water and heat until it is bubbling slowly.
Keep it a bit wet, it needs enough moisture to not dry out before the eggs are cooked.
- Make some hollows in the mixture, add a small dribble of cooking oil and carefully crack an egg into each.
- Cover with a lid and keep it cooking slowly on a low to medium heat for 5 – 10 minutes, until the egg is cooked through. (Spoon a little hot liquid over the eggs if they are not cooking on the top.)
If you prefer you can transfer the mixture into an ovenproof dish (or individual dishes), add the egg and bake for around 15 – 20 minutes.
If you like it spicy, stir in half a teaspoon of harissa paste with the tomatoes.
More details and photos to follow soon.
More to come soon.
If you want some really simple meal ideas try our 10 minute meals and healthy snacks page.